92.7 FM - 107.5 FM - 1370 AM - 98.5 FM
Listen Live: 107.5 THE ROCK92.7 FM
Family owned radio stations serving all of Central Wisconsin

If You're Going to Burn, Contact the Proper Authorities Says Neillsville Fire Chief

Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 -- 1:00 PM

If you decide to burn some grass or yard debris at your home, what officials should you call to let them know you’re doing a prescribed burn?

Neillsville’s Fire Chief Matt Meyer provided some insight into that process.  The Neillsville Fire Department has recently had a couple instances of reported wildfires, but they were actually controlled burns by residents at their homes.

The department has to extinguish the flames if they’re called to the burn, even if it is controlled.  Chief Meyer explained who should be contacted if you’re going to burn.

"What works out the best is if the homeowner calls the Sheriff's Department before they burn stating what they're going to burn, and give their address, and tell them not to come to their property unless they call them.  The Sheriff's Department will put it on their screen and know not to go out there if somebody else calls."

Again, the best thing a resident can do is check the DNR’s website for fire danger levels and any possible burning restrictions.

Feel free to contact us with questions and/or comments.